- 1 Do we need a passport for Nepal ?
- 2 FAQ
- 2.1 How much do I need to pay for my Nepal visa?
- 2.2 As a tourist, can I stay longer than 150 days continuously in two calendar years?
- 2.3 Can I work with a tourist visa?
- 2.4 I am a Chinese national. Do I need to pay any fee for a tourist visa to Nepal?
- 2.5 Who is exempt from obtaining a visa to visit Nepal?
- 2.6 Can I obtain a visa on arrival in Nepal?
- 2.7 Which countries are on the list whose nationals are not eligible to obtain a visa on arrival?
- 2.8 How long is an entry valid for?
- 2.9 Do I need to come in person to the Embassy to submit my application in person?
- 2.10 Can I get a transit visa for Nepal?
- 2.11 Related
Do we need a passport for Nepal ?
Yes, we need a passport for Nepal. A passport with at least six months’ validity
The Government of Nepal has recently removed the requirement for travelers to complete an online International Travel Arrival Form. When flying to Nepal from or through the UK, you will however need to present certain documentation on arrival:
- A passport with at least six months’ validity
- a Covid-19 vaccination certificate or PCR negative test result taken no more than 72 hours before the flight’s first departure. These requirements do not apply to children aged five or under.
- If you are vaccinated, you can apply for a visa on arrival at Online Services or complete documentation at the arrivals hall of Kathmandu International Airport.
You may also be asked to show proof of:
- A travel insurance document that covers health, an immediate crisis, or rescue for the duration of your travel in Nepal
- Your initial hotel booking
Identity Documents Required for Indian Citizens Going To or Coming From Nepal By Air
- valid national passport.
- Photo ID cards issued by the government of India, state governments, or UT Administration in India to their employees or election ID cards issued by the Election Commission of India
- Emergency Certificate issued by the Embassy of India, Kathmandu
- Identity Certificate issued by the Embassy of India, Kathmandu
- Persons in the age group of above 65 years and below 15 years would be exempt from the requirement of approved identity documents mentioned at S.Nos. (i), (ii), (iii), and (iv). However, they must have some documents with photographs to confirm their age and identity, such as a PAN card, a driving license, a CGHS card, a ration card, etc.
- Children between the age groups of 15 and 18 years may be allowed to travel between India and Nepal on the strength of an identity certificate issued by the principal of the school in the prescribed form.
- In the case of a family (meaning husband, wife, minor children, and parents) traveling together, the approved identification documents at S.Nos. (i), (ii), (iii), and (iv) would not be insisted upon by all the family members if one of the adult members of the family is in possession of one of the prescribed identification documents at S. Nos. (i), (ii), (iii), and (iv). However, the other family members must have some proof of their identity with a photograph and their relationship as a family, viz., a CGHS card, a ration card, a driving license, an ID card issued by their school or college, etc.
The Aadhar Card (UID) is not an acceptable travel document for travel to Nepal or Bhutan.
A Certificate of Registration issued by the Embassy of India in Kathmandu, Nepal, to Indian nationals is not an acceptable travel document for travel between India and Nepal.
The Emergency Certificate and Identity Certificate issued by the Embassy of India, Kathmandu, will be valid for a single journey for travelling back to India.
What are the requirements for obtaining a tourist visa?
All applicants should fill out a Visa application form, which can be downloaded from the Embassy’s website (click here to download). Applicants should include the original passport and its copy, as well as one passport-size recent photograph.
Can I apply for a visa online?
Yes. You can apply for a visa online in order to avoid unnecessary queues at the entry points to Nepal. Please refer to online.nepalimmigration.gov.np. Once you submit your application, you will receive a receipt in your email, which you can present to an immigration officer at one of the entry points to Nepal, including Tribhuvan International Airport. Please note that your application will remain in the system for 15 days. After 15 days, the application will be deleted automatically from the system.
Where do I apply to get my visa?
You can apply in person at the Embassy in Beijing, the Consulates of Nepal in Lhasa, Hong Kong, and Guangzhou, and the Honorary Consulate of Nepal in Shanghai, or through registered travel agencies registered with the CNTA.
I am in Mongolia. How can I get a visa?
Nationals of Mongolia can apply for a visit visa at the Honorary Consulate’s Office in Ulaanbaatar. They can also obtain visas on arrival at any entry point into Nepal.
How long does it take to obtain a visa from the Embassy?
The Embassy collects application forms in the morning from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and issues visas after 3 working days in the afternoon from 15:00–16:00 hrs. For example, Visa applications made on Monday can be collected on Thursday afternoon.
How much do I need to pay for my Nepal visa?
Chinese nationals are exempted from tourist visa fees. Likewise, children below 10 years and nationals of SAARC countries are also exempt from visa fees for a period of 30 days.
As a tourist, can I stay longer than 150 days continuously in two calendar years?
Yes. Visitors who have entered Nepal towards the end of one calendar year may prolong their stay beyond 150 days by adding the maximum period of another 150 days allowable for the next calendar year. However, tourists who have left Nepal before the expiration of the visa issued to them for the current year shall not be allowed to use or carry forward the unused period of their visa to another calendar year.
Can I work with a tourist visa?
No. A foreigner having a tourist visa shall not be allowed to work in Nepal, with or without receiving remuneration.
I am a Chinese national. Do I need to pay any fee for a tourist visa to Nepal?
No. Chinese nationals are exempt from the visa fee for a tourist visa. Except Chinese nationals, the following applicants other than Chinese are entitled to obtain a gratis visa from the Embassy:
- Children under the age of 10 years
- a 30-day visa for the citizens of SAARC countries (such a visa is issued once in a calendar year).
Who is exempt from obtaining a visa to visit Nepal?
Diplomatic and official passport holders of the People’s Republic of China, Russia, Thailand, Brazil, Mongolia, and the UN Lassies Passenger Holders do not need a visa to visit Nepal.
Can I obtain a visa on arrival in Nepal?
Yes. Except for nationals of a few countries, all nationals are entitled to obtain a visa on arrival. However, a prior visa is always recommended to avoid any unforeseen last-minute hassle.
Which countries are on the list whose nationals are not eligible to obtain a visa on arrival?
Nigeria, Somalia, Liberia, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana, Swaziland, Iraq, Palestine, and Afghanistan, and all Travel Document Holder applicants need visas in advance. They are advised to apply for a visa at the Embassy prior to their visit to Nepal.
How long is an entry valid for?
A visa issued by the Embassy is valid for six months from the date of issue. The validity of a visa date is computed, however, from the date of arrival in Nepal.
Do I need to come in person to the Embassy to submit my application in person?
Submission of the application in person is always a preferred option. However, an authorized representative can also apply for and receive a visa on behalf of the applicant.
It is mandatory for the applicant from Nigeria, Somalia, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Ghana, Swaziland, Iraq, Palestine, and Afghanistan, and holders of travel documents, to come in person to apply for a visa.
Can I get a transit visa for Nepal?
Yes. Transit passengers willing to spend an overnight in Nepal on their way to any third country with confirmed air tickets and passengers of aircraft that had to make an emergency landing in Nepal are eligible to obtain a transit visa.
Read ALso :