- 1 What to do if Internet access is blocked in Windows 10
- 2 Option 1: Install the Windows Firewall.
- 3 Option 2: Antivirus program
What to do if Internet access is blocked in Windows 10
Option 1: Install the Windows Firewall.
In most cases, Internet access is blocked by the built-in Windows security tool—the firewall. A firewall may consider a site untrustworthy, limiting visits to it. If the resource is verified, then you can try disabling the system software, resetting its settings, or adding the website to the exclusion list. For more advanced users, it is possible to create rules for incoming network connections.
Method 1: Disable the firewall.
To check if the problem really lies in the operation of built-in protection, you can try deactivating it for a while, then visit the problem site and see if access to it has been restored. There are several ways to disable the Windows Firewall, including the Defender interface , as well as through standard tools such as the Control Panel or Command Prompt . All methods are discussed on our website in a separate step-by-step guide for Windows 10.
Method 2: Perform a factory reset
The user can return the firewall settings to their default values, which will reset all Defender settings . This will work if someone accidentally changed them or there was a crash in the system.
1. Go to “Control Panel” by finding the application through “Start” .
2. As a result, select large or small icons, then click on the “Windows Defender Firewall” section 3. On the left panel, click on the line “Restore Defaults” .
4. In the new window, confirm the action by clicking on the appropriate button.
5. A system window will open with a warning. Check it out, then click OK .
This completes the firewall reset. All the parameters that were in it by default will return. Try visiting the site to check if internet access is available. It will not be superfluous to restart the PC.
Method 3: Adding to the list of exclusions
Windows Defender Firewall provides a feature to add an application to the exception list. If Internet access is blocked through the browser, then it will need to be added to this list. You can do this through the tool interface in the “Control Panel” . Our separate material describes in detail the algorithm of actions, only in this case you will need to add the executable (EXE) file of the browser you are using or any other application with which there was a problem with connecting to the network.
Method 4: Create an inbound rule
Manually created connection rules allow or deny access. To create a parameter for an incoming connection, you need to define conditions for receiving information from the network. In the case of incoming connections, a rule means monitoring the requests that are sent, as well as the response processes from the Internet.
To restore internet access in Windows 10, create an inbound rule like this:
- In the Windows Defender Firewall interface , click on the “Advanced Options” line in the left pane.
- In the left column, click on the line “Rules for incoming connections” . In the right pane, select “New Rule.”
- Run the built-in Rule Creation Wizard. On the “Rule Type” tab , check the item “For the program,” then click on the button
- At the next step, you will need to specify the path to the executable file (not to the shortcut!) of the program. Check the appropriate box, then click the Browse button . After that, specify the path through the system “Explorer” .
- After the path is specified, proceed to the next step by clicking on the continue button.
- Define the type of action. Several options are available in the window: allow or block the connection, as well as allow a secure connection. Click on
- Check the box next to the profile for which the rule will apply. Continue creating.
- In the final step, enter a name and, optionally, a description for the rule. Click the Finish button to close the Wizard window.
If you need to create a rule for a messenger or a game server, then in Step 3 select the item “For port” .
When a custom rule is created, its name will be displayed in the main window of the firewall monitor. To select an action with it, click on its name, then expand the menu on the right: you can deactivate it at any time, view its properties, or even delete it.
Option 2: Antivirus program
Often, the installed antivirus program is the cause of problems with the Internet. If the software suspects that the resource is potentially harmful, then it will not let the user into the site. To check if Internet access is blocked by an antivirus, it is recommended to briefly disable it. In most cases, it is enough to find the software icon in the tray and right-click on it. In the menu that appears, there should be an item “Exit” or “Close” : select it.
With the antivirus program disabled, the computer is at risk, so be sure to enable the application again after checking.
The method for disabling antivirus software may vary, as in some cases, you will need to go to the interface. Our separate material describes how to disable protection in the most common programs.