- 1 How to free up memory on iPhone
- 2 Clearing memory on the iPhone
How to free up memory on iPhone
Unlike most Android devices that support microSD cards, the iPhone doesn’t have storage expansion tools. Many users are faced with a situation where, at a crucial moment, their smartphone reports a lack of free space. Today we will look at several ways that will free up space.
Clearing memory on the iPhone
By far, the most effective way to clear the memory on an iPhone is to delete content completely, i.e., perform a factory reset. However, below are recommendations that will help free up some storage without getting rid of all media content.
Tip 1: Delete the Cache
Many applications begin to create and accumulate user files as they are used. Over time, the size of applications grows, and, as a rule, there is no need for this accumulated information.
Earlier on our site, we already considered ways to clear the cache on an iPhone—this will significantly reduce the size of installed applications and free up, at times, up to several gigabytes of space.
Tip #2: Improve Storage
Apple also provides its own tool for automatically reclaiming memory on the iPhone. As a rule, most of the space on a smartphone is occupied by photos and videos. The Optimize Storage feature works in such a way that when your phone runs out of space, it automatically replaces the original photos and videos with their reduced copies. The originals themselves will be stored in your iCloud account.
- To enable this feature, open settings and then select your account name.
- Next, you will need to open the “iCloud” section , and then the “Photos” item .
- In the new window, activate the “iCloud Photos” option . Just below, check the box next to “Storage
3rd Tip: Cloud Storage
If you are not yet actively using cloud storage, it’s time to start doing it. Most modern services, such as Google Drive , Dropbox, and Yandex.Disk , have the function of automatically uploading photos and videos to the cloud. Subsequently, when the files are successfully stored on the servers, the originals can be completely and painlessly deleted from the device. At the very least, this will free up a few hundred megabytes—it all depends on how many photos and videos are stored on your device.
Listening to Music via Streaming
If the quality of your Internet connection allows, there is no need to download and store gigabytes of music on the device itself when it can be streamed from Apple Music or any third-party music streaming service, such as Yandex. Music.
- For example, to activate Apple Music, open the settings on your phone and go to the Music section . Activate the “Show Apple Music” option .
- Open the standard Music application, and then go to the For You tab . Click the Select Subscription button .
- Choose the plan that suits you and subscribe.
Please note that after subscribing, the agreed amount of money will be debited from your bank account every month. If you no longer plan to use Apple Music, be sure to cancel your subscription.
Tip 5: Delete iMessage Conversations
If you regularly send photos and videos through the standard Messages application, clean up the correspondence to free up space on your smartphone.
To do this, launch the standard Messages application. Find an extra conversation and swipe it from right to left. Select the Delete button . Confirm deletion.
On the same principle, you can get rid of correspondence in other messengers on your phone, for example, WhatsApp or Telegram .
Tip 6: Uninstall any stock apps.
Many Apple users have been waiting for this feature for years, and finally Apple has implemented it. The fact is that the iPhone has a rather extensive list of standard applications, and many of them do not start. In this case, it is logical to remove the extra tools. If, after deletion, you suddenly need any application, you can always download it from the App Store.
- Find on the desktop a standard application that you plan to get rid of. Hold the icon for a long time with your finger until an icon with a cross appears next to it.
- Select this check, and then confirm the deletion of the application.
7. Tip: Get Apps
Another useful space-saving feature that was implemented in iOS 11. Everyone has installed applications that run extremely rarely, but at the same time, removing them from the phone is out of the question. Uploading allows you to, in fact, remove the application from the iPhone but keep user files and the icon on the desktop.
At the moment when you need to turn to the help of the application again, just select its icon, after which the recovery procedure for the device will begin. As a result, the application will be launched in its original form-as if it had not been deleted.
- To activate the automatic download of applications from the device’s memory (iPhone will independently analyze the launch of applications and remove unnecessary ones), open the settings, and then select your account name.
- In a new window, you will need to open the “iTunes Store and App Store” section .
- Activate the option “Download unused” .
- If you want to decide which applications to download, in the main settings window, select the “Basic” section , and then open “iPhone Storage.”
- After a moment, the screen will display a list of installed applications, as well as their size.
- Select an extra application, and then tap on the button “Download program” . Confirm the action.
Tip 8: Update to the most recent iOS version.
Apple is making significant efforts to improve its operating system. With almost every update, the device loses its flaws, becomes more functional, and the firmware itself takes up less space on the device. If, for some reason, you missed the next update for your smartphone, we strongly recommend installing it.
Of course, with new versions of iOS, more and more tools for optimizing storage will appear. We hope these tips were useful to you and you were able to free up some space.
Read More :