Which is better cloud hosting or WordPress hosting?
With so many different types of hosting and service providers, it becomes very difficult for new users to figure out which one best suits your site’s needs. The two most popular hosting options are WordPress hosting and cloud hosting. It is necessary to understand the differences between them before making a decision and hosting a website. In this comparison article, we’ll take a look at cloud hosting and WordPress hosting to help you distinguish and decide which one is right for your website.
What is cloud hosting?
Cloud hosting is a type of web hosting that uses multiple virtual servers connected through a network to provide better performance than traditional shared or dedicated servers. Instead of relying on just one server, cloud hosting distributes resources across multiple servers, providing higher reliability and availability. So if for any reason one server goes down or has a problem, another can take its place with minimal downtime.
Another benefit of using cloud hosting is scalability: because it is spread across multiple servers, websites hosted in the cloud can access more resources when needed without buying additional hardware or upgrading their plans. This makes it ideal for businesses that experience high levels of traffic during peak hours with less downtime.
Examples of cloud hosting companies:
- Google Cloud (GCP ) is Google’s cloud computing platform for hosting websites, applications, and storage. It offers a number of features and services that help businesses build and manage their websites.
- AWS : Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a cloud computing platform just like Google Cloud with various computing services. For those looking for a less complex service, try AWS LightSail.
- DigitalOcean is an easy-to-use cloud hosting provider that offers simple and affordable Virtual Private Servers (VPS).
- CloudWays : This is another example of a managed cloud provider that emphasizes performance and simplicity.
- Linode : In addition to the usual cloud services, it also offers a choice of services from other cloud providers at different prices.
What is WordPress hosting?
WordPress hosting is specifically designed for websites powered by the WordPress Content Management System (CMS) . It provides users with pre-configured environments optimized for running WordPress based websites.
This eliminates some of the manual setup and configuration associated with other forms of web hosting by automatically installing important components such as the Apache web server and PHP server modules, as well as setting up connection information for the database used by WordPress to store data from posts, pages, comments. etc. You will also have a customizable control panel to easily manage your WordPress settings.
The main benefit of using a managed WordPress host is the increased security compared to other types of web hosts. Since specially designed WordPress hosting providers usually have sophisticated tools to protect against malicious attacks or unauthorized access attempts, and malware scanning is usually performed periodically by administrators behind the scenes, instead of users having to manually check their sites themselves.
Examples of hosting companies or WordPress service providers:
- WordPress.com: The developers of the popular WordPress CMS also offer managed hosting services with high speed and security.
- GoDaddy : Offers simple and affordable WordPress shared hosting plans optimized for WordPress sites.
- Bluehost : Bluehost is one of the most popular web hosts offering simple and affordable shared hosting plans as well as VPS plans including WordPress hosting.
- WP Engine : WP Engine is a premium managed WordPress hosting solution that helps businesses build and manage their websites.
- And more… .
WordPress Hosting vs Cloud Hosting
|Aspects||WordPress Hosting||Cloud hosting|
|Server||The hardware resources of a WordPress hosting server will be shared across multiple websites.||A dedicated virtual server and its resources will be allocated only for the user’s site.|
|Optimization||Users will receive an optimized server and services specifically designed and built for optimal WordPress performance.||It is not only optimized for WordPress, instead the service is tuned to provide overall speed and performance for all types of applications installed on top of it.|
|File access||Well, to keep things simple, secure, and streamlined, such hosting services do not allow users to edit or access all of the server’s files.||On the other hand, cloud hosting allows you to access all files, even the OS installed on the VM, from anywhere in the world via the Internet.|
|Expenses||WordPress hosting is a little more expensive due to back-end services, tools, and security managed by the provider.||Compared to traditional web hosting, it is flexible in terms of costs, the user only has to pay for the resources they are going to use, so it is much more efficient or cost effective.|
|Suitable for beginners||Depending on the service provider, this hosting service is more convenient and easier to set up due to various features such as one-click WordPress setup, tools to check server usage and performance, easy migration and more…||It’s not for beginners who don’t have technical knowledge because in cloud hosting, users have to manage most things like WordPress installation, database management, website security and more…|
|Safety||WordPress websites are more secure when running on this type of web host. Since the provider is going to take care of such security as protection against DDOS attacks.||Here, the user has a shared secure server environment, but at the end of the day, setting up security for WordPress and the server is in the user’s hands. Also, sometimes adding extra security increases the cost of hosting.|
|Scalability||In it, in order to suddenly handle more traffic, the user needs to upgrade the hosting plan, which is not only time-consuming, but can also increase downtime.||It’s quite flexible and can easily scale up and down without having to switch plans. Hence, less downtime. This is why larger deployments are usually looking for cloud hosting.|
|Service||On WordPress hosting, the server provider will automatically update the server and install patches. So there is no need to worry about it, which simplifies management and maintenance.||Most cloud hosted VM servers installed with Linux, such as CentOS or Ubuntu, need to be managed by users. Therefore, timely updating and maintenance of the server is the responsibility of the administrator or anyone who works with it.|
Pros and cons of cloud hosting
- Users can easily scale their hosting service without having to upgrade their plans.
- Cloud hosting is less prone to failures than other forms of hosting.
- Effective Disaster Recovery
- Provides enhanced protection against malicious attacks and unauthorized access attempts. And the presence of several tools to prevent security breaches
- Low cost – pay as you go, which means you only have to pay for what you use.
- High flexibility means that the user can increase or decrease resources such as CPU cores, RAM, or storage.
- Access to all files
- Can host any website the user wants
- It can be expensive compared to other forms of hosting, especially for low budget websites or beginners.
- Complexity. Setting up a cloud environment can be complex and requires technical knowledge.
- The security of a WordPress website or any other hosted application is in the hands of the users.
- If your data is lost by accident, recovery is not possible because you must manage the database yourself.
Pros and Cons of WordPress Hosting
Here are some advantages and disadvantages of using WordPress hosting.
- Optimized to run WordPress CMS
- Provide built-in tools like cpanel to manage WordPress related settings.
- Easy setup with graphical user interface
- Suitable for beginners
- Provides high security
- Automatic installation of WordPress in 1 click
- Users can opt for an automatic backup service for an additional fee.
- Server maintenance is a headache for the service provider.
- Not intended for advanced users who need full control over their files.
- Unable to install any other website besides WordPress
- Some WordPress hosts do not allow you to install third party plugins.
- Low Flexibility
So which option is better?
Ultimately, it depends on what type of website you are trying to build or manage, as well as how much control you want over your environment and server configurations.
If you’re looking for an all-in-one solution that allows you to quickly deploy a website without having to manually configure settings yourself, then managed WordPress hosting might be the way to go , especially if you’re new to managing websites. servers, but needs something secure enough for more demanding applications such as e-commerce sites or large corporate intranets where maximum uptime is important.
For large scale deployments , where availability and scalability are most important, cloud hosting may be preferable due to its distributed nature , which allows for easy expansion as traffic grows without the need to add additional hardware.
In conclusion , both cloud hosting and WordPress hosting have their own advantages and disadvantages. The user decides which type of hosting best suits his needs.
What is WordPress hosting?
WordPress hosting, you guessed it, is exclusively for WordPress websites.
What is the best hosting for WordPress?
Managed WordPress Hosting is a complete package that is best for beginners to host websites like WP-Engine or Wordpess.com…
What are the benefits of managed WordPress hosting?
All your basic needs are covered, plus you get guaranteed automatic updates, better security, and faster download speeds.
What is cloud hosting?
Cloud hosting is where your website is “virtually” hosted on multiple servers.
What are the benefits of cloud hosting?
The key benefits of cloud hosting are complete data control, flexibility and scalability as cloud resources are virtually limitless so if your site experiences a sudden spike in traffic you don’t have to worry about your site crashing.
How Much Does Google Cloud Hosting Cost?
Once your free trial is over, you can continue hosting your website starting at around $12.71 per month using WordPress on Google Cloud.
Read Also :